This piece was written during the 2023 WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. Without the labour of the writers and actors currently on strike, the movie/series/feature being covered here wouldn't exist.
BY JACK RANSOM JULY 24, 2023
Dare you cross Frontier(s)? The shockingly violent and darkly disturbing horror from Xavier Gens (Hitman, Gangs of London) in his 2007 directorial debut, is set for a brand-new Limited Edition Blu-ray Box set release alongside a Standard Edition version from experts in the field Second Sight Films on 24 July 2023.
Shocking and thrilling audiences and offending (some) critics on its original release, French helmer Gens’ blood-fueled, brutal feature is set for a stunning new Limited Edition outing. The box set is presented in a rigid slipcase with new artwork by James Neal and a 70 page book featuring new essays and comes complete with a bucket load of special features. These will be available on both versions and include: an audio commentary with Zoë Rose Smith and Kelly Gredner, new interviews with cast and crew, the 'Making of’, a short film and more! Please see full list below.
Released during the savage New Wave of French Extremity that sliced up the mid-2000’s Frontier(s) sees a gang of young thieves flee Paris during the violent aftermath of a political election, only to hole up at an Inn run by neo-Nazis. Frontier(s) may not rewrite the rule book when it comes to its plot, with it being an amalgamation of Tobe Hooper’s iconic cannibal family, the false façade exterior of hospitality and taking advantage of male lust (Hostel), with an added injection of Nazism for added grotesqueness. At just under 1hr 50 minutes the film personally could have been a little sharper, especially with its simple premise feeling stretched. However, the glimpses into the twisted backstory of this grisly, disturbed and to but it bluntly - fucked up family, simultaneously wince-inducing violence, coupled with cheer worthy splatter, combined with a surprising level of investment in our rebellious, morally skewed protagonist keep it engaging.
• Audio Commentary with Zoë Rose Smith and Kelly Gredner
• Reinventing the Extreme: a new interview with director Xavier Gens
• Going Method: a new interview with actor Karina Testa
• A Light in the Dark: a new interview with actor Maud Forget
• Lights, Camera... Fear: a new interview with cinematographer Laurent Barès
• Sounds of Violence: a new interview with composer Jean-Piere Taïeb
• The Making of Frontier(s)
• Fotografik Short Film
• Xavier Gens Highschool Trailers
• Frontier(s) Trailers
• Storyboard Comparisons
• Behind-the-Scenes Photos with commentary by Xavier Gens and Karina Testa
• Deleted Scenes with optional commentary by Xavier Gens and Karina
Testa Limited Edition Contents
• Rigid slipcase with new artwork by James Neal
• 70 page book with new essays by Dr Sarah Cleary, Mark H Harris, Carolyn Mauricette and Alexandra West
• Six collectors' art cards
Thanks to the kind folks over at Second Sight, I was provided an early copy of their upcoming blu-ray release of the film which includes a myriad of great bonus features, several of which are exclusive and have not been seen before. From audio commentaries, in depth interviews with the director, cast and crew, a Making Of featurette, a never seen before short film, trailers, deleted scenes, storyboards, original trailers and more! Highly recommended for cult film fans, gorehounds and those looking for a dip into French extremity