This piece was written during the 2023 WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. Without the labour of the writers and actors currently on strike, the movie/series/feature being covered here wouldn't exist.
BY JACK RANSOM JULY 26, 2023
Lucky McKee’s wickedly wry body horror featuring outstanding performances, stunning cinematography and a stellar soundtrack, is back for a new release this July. Second Sight Films has it all sewn up with a brand-new Limited Edition and Standard Edition Blu-ray version, both complete with a fantastic slew of special features!
The brand-new Limited Edition is OUT NOW and is presented in a stunning box with new artwork by Bella Grace, alongside a 70 page book, with new essays. Both editions come complete with a host of brilliant extras including new audio commentaries and new interviews with the stars, director, composer and editors and much more, see full details below.
A lesser mentioned cult favourite horror flick from the early 00’s. May sees a socially awkward veterinary assistant (Angela Bettis) with a lazy eye and obsession with perfection descend into depravity after developing a crush on a boy (Jeremy Sisto) with perfect hands. At just over 90 minutes the film doesn’t overstay its welcome, however for me, before the gleefully twisted, splattery schlock fest final third, I did find this a tad on the slow side. With its repetitive structure and surface level narrative hindering its middle act. However, the film effectively crafts a sense of unease (those who suffer from severe second hand embarrassment this is not the one for you) and Angela Bettis gives a superbly off-kilter performance as the titular character. Fans of blood and guts will have plenty to cheer about in the final third, with the filmmakers utilising practical brutality to great effect.
Thanks to the kind folks over at Second Sight, I was provided an early copy of their upcoming blu-ray release of the film which includes a myriad of great bonus features, several of which are exclusive and have not been seen before. From audio commentaries, in depth interviews with the director, cast and crew, a Making Of featurette and footage shot on set during production. As well as these on disc features, collectors are also treated to a lovely slipcover, six collector’s art cards and a 70 page booklet! Highly recommended for cult film fans, gorehounds and those looking for creepy, darkly comedic and disturbing 00’s horror!
• New audio commentary with Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
• Audio commentary with director Lucky McKee, cinematographer Steve Yedlin, editor Chris Sivertson and actors Angela Bettis, Nichole Hiltz, and Bret Roberts
• Audio commentary with director Lucky McKee, Editor Rian Johnson, Composer Jammes Luckett (formerly credited as Jaye Barnes Luckett), production designer Leslie Keel, and Craft Services guy Benji
• The Toymaker: a new interview with director Lucky McKee
• Perfect Hands: a new interview with actor Jeremy Sisto
• Blankety Blank: a new interview with actor James Duval
• How to Execute a Murder: a new interview with cinematographer Steve Yedlin
• Peeling Back the Layers: a new interview with editor Rian Johnson
• Jack and Jill: a new interview with editor Chris Sivertson
• In the Cut: a new interview with editor Kevin Ford
• Blood, Gore and Rock ‘n’ Roll: a new interview with composer Jammes Luckett
• From Frankenstein to May: Miranda Corcoran on May
• Bits and Pieces: on the set of May
Limited Edition Contents
• Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Bella Grace
• 70 page book with new essays by Joseph Dwyer, Rachel Knightley, Mary Beth McAndrews and Heather Wixson
• Six collectors' art cards